Compare features and pricing for OCR Character Recognition software applications. Extensive comparison of accuracy, performance, features, language support and more. From PDF converters to enterprise data processing and RPA. Export support available.
ICR – Intelligent Character Recognition
Intelligent Character Recognition
- Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) is an extended technology of the optical character recognition (OCR ). While the OCR technology is designed to extract machine-printed characters, the ICR technology retreives information provided as hand-printed characters
- The ICR technology can extract hand-printed characters that are separated and written as individualcharacters in areas/zones – these areas/zones needs to be specified as fixed fields of a machine readable forms. Alternativelly, they need to be automatically detected.
Example of a form containing hand-printed characters:
Important note: ICR is not able to extract texts in “cursive handwriting” as in this example:
- In most cases, the ICR technology is linked to Field Level / Zonal Recognition and forms processing.
- To enhance the ICR recognition accuracy, it is recommended to use meta data, for example regular expressions, dictionaries or database lookups.
ICR in ABBYY SDKs
The following ABBYY SDKs and products support ICR
- FineReader Engine
Since the version 12, Release 3, ICR is as well included in the Linux version. Since the Release 4 of the version 12, it is as well included in the Mac version of FineReader Engine (in lower versions, the ICR technology was only supported in the Windows version.
- Cloud OCR SDK – the ABBYY OCR service, allows reading zones that contain hand-printed, separated characters. This online OCR service […]